Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I Am Done.....almost


Last night I wrote the final exam for my Breastfeeding Counsellor Certificate Program.
I now have to complete my practicum hours and journal about my experiences. This should take me into the summer to complete....I know my limitations, Margaret!
This is quite an academic course with a heavy reading load. Breastfeeding is truly an art; there are so many nuances and sublties. It is ironic that there is a 3 months course to teach us how to trouble shoot and educate women about something that women have been doing since the beginning of time.
What has happened in our society that we don't possess the information we need to nourish our offspring; that our mothers and aunts and sisters don't posses the innate knowledge to help us when we have problems; that are health care system doesn't recognize that supporting and encouraging mothers to establish and maintain breastfeeding greatly reduced illness in both mother and baby for the rest of their lives?
It is a crazy world we live in!
So I am anxiously awaiting the marks from my exam and excited about learning more through my practicum placements.
If you have a breastfeeding issue feel free to send it my way--I would love to see if I could help.

No comments: