Thursday, January 05, 2006


This is a picture of Greta taken a few days ago. It is striking how much she looks like Esmé. When I look at this picture, I am looking into Esmé's eyes. Do the girls see the similarity in each other? I am told that both my daughters look very much like me; I can see that they look very much like each other, but do not recognize myself in them. I wonder why? I am not conscious or aware of what (or whom) I really look like?
Tonight I made Prosphera bread for the first time. I was very conscious of my thoughts and actions while making it. I found it a very peaceful ritual in an incredibly stressful day. Tomorrow morning my husband will pray for many people as he cuts it into pieces and uses it in the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. I am struck by the miraculous as I ponder how this bread will be transformed during the liturgy. God allows us, such sinful people, to participate in such an act of worship. He is such a loving God. If only I would allow Him to tranform me, flesh and bones and hurts, as He does this flour, water, yeast and salt.

6 comments:

Texas Matushka (who currently lives in PA) said...

From one Matushka to another...you're amazing!

RW said...

I think she looks like Esme and you!

How did Liturgy go? We have to prepare for snowboarding lessons tomorrow. H has dance tonight... I do not get to sleep in but I don't have to be logged in at work at 7.30 so for that I am grateful.

MommaKim said...

The liturgy was great! My kids didn't start to wiggle until 20 mins in!
What a wonderful way to start the new year. I was so pleased to see such hardy souls there willing get up and sign and worship at 7am without coffee.
Now tomorrow we are going to the Pacific Ocean to do the Blessing of ther Waters.
http://www.holycrossubc.blogspot.com/

Tabatha said...

I just saw the pictures of Theophany and almost cried. They are beautiful. I am thinking of you and echo texas matushka's sentiments.

MommaKim said...

Tab, It was such a glorious morning. Such a gift from God.

Kassianni said...

all I can say, is your kids have the bluest cornflower blue eyes I have ever seen. and they're beautiful.
how did one family get so blessed?